Car accidents can be a scary event. Most of the time people are disoriented after an accident either from hitting their head or from the adrenaline rush that comes right afterward.
The important thing is to try and calm yourself and remember what to do right after the accident. Or for many people reading this after the accident, you should still make sure you have completed all of these steps.
1. Safety First ~ Make sure you and your passengers are safe. If anyone is hurt immediately call 911. If you can, move your vehicle to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights. If you cannot move your vehicle and our in the middle of the road, stay in the vehicle until help arrives.
2. Exchange Information ~ Exchange your information with other drivers. Name, address, phone number, insurance company, policy number, license plate, and driver’s license number.
3. Police ~ File an accident report with the police. The police may be at the scene, but if they are not, you can get an accident report at the police station or department of motor vehicles. Accident reports are needed by your insurance company.
4. Photograph The Accident ~ Use you camera or cell phone camera to document the accident. This is important in helping you make a case with your claim adjuster and insurance company.
5. Call Your Insurance Company ~ Call your insurance agent and make them aware of the accident. They will want to know details about the accident, your injuries and the damage to your vehicle. They may need you to fill out some paperwork.
6. Call A Healthcare Professional ~ Call your doctor even if you do not have pain and see what they recommend. A chiropractor is a great choice after an auto accident, because they are experts in muscle and spine injuries.
7. Get An Attorney ~ Contact your own attorney or one who specializes in auto accidents. They can be very helpful in talking to your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company with help in settling or closing your claim